Top 10 EuroMillions Jackpots
EuroMillions, the EU’s largest lottery, has had a whopping 2 470 649 582 winners across all tiers since its first draw on Friday 13 February 2004. There have also been hundreds of jackpot winners winning between €16 million and the maximum €190 million from across the EU, with the top 10 EuroMillions jackpot winners winning between €163 million and €190 million. So where do these top 10 jackpot winners come from and what is their story?
1. Adrian and Gillian Bayford of Suffolk, UK, were a postman and nursing assistant respectively, when they won an incredible €190 million on Friday 10 August 2012. They bought their winning Lucky Dip ticket in Queen Street, Havernhill, at a Premier Convenience Store. The Bayfords lavishly started spending their millions on top-of-the-range cars, a top notch mansion, and helicopter rides. Within 15 months they were divorced and Gillian moved back to her native Scotland with their two kids.
2. On Friday the 24 October 2014, a EuroMillions ticket holder from Castelo Branco, Portugal matched all 7 numbers and claimed a spectacular €190 million. The lucky winner, who chose to remain anonymous, bought their ticket from Sobedis Tabacaria, a small shop within the Alegro Shopping Centre. In the little shop’s 15 years of selling tickets, this was their first ever jackpot winner.
3. On 6 October 2017 the record sum of €190 million was won for the third time in EuroMillions history. The winner, a Spanish ticket holder who bought their ticket in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, decided to remain anonymous. The actual nationality of the winner, however, remains a mystery; it could just have easily been one of the Spanish locals as it could be a tourist visiting the area on holiday. They were the 83rd jackpot winner to come from Spain.
4. A Superdraw took place on 7 June 2013 with a jackpot of €100 million but, when it went unclaimed, rolled over for five successive draws. One of the biggest split jackpots, the grand prize of €187 million was eventually won by two Euromillions ticket holders, one from Limburg, Belgium and the other from Dublin, Ireland. Both winners, who decided to remain anonymous, walked away with €93 million.
5. Lucky couple Chris and Colin Weir from Largs, Ayshire, won a staggering €185 million in the EuroMillions draw held on 12 July 2011. They bought their ticket from McColls, a store in their local town. Both enjoyed being charitable with their large winnings and have since donated to several causes, set up their own charitable trust, funded the refurbishment of the Largs Thistle Football Club’s grounds, and have been well known for their financial backing of the Scottish National Party.
6. This rolled over jackpot saw a lucky three-winner split. On 3 February 2006, the EuroMillions jackpot was at a high of €183 million, driving ticket sales through the roof. Two winners from France and one from Portugal each walked away with €61 million. The Portuguese ticket holder bought their ticket in Odivelas in the Lisbon region whilst the one French winner’s ticket was bought in Paris’ 10th arrondissement, near Gare du Nord.
7. Perhaps one of the most exciting draws in EuroMillions history, the jackpot hit a high of €183 million when a rollover cap was still in place. The cap meant that the jackpot may only roll over twelve times before it must be shared, on the 12th draw, amongst the winners in the next tier. When the draw took place and the jackpot was not claimed, the winnings were shared out amongst the twenty ticket holders who had matched five numbers and one Lucky Star. Each winner walked away with €9.6 million, still an amount worth celebrating. The winners were as follows – 7 from the UK, 4 in France, 3 in Spain, 3 in Portugal, 2 in Ireland, and 1 in Belgium.
8. A man from Nice, France, who decided to remain anonymous, won the EuroMillions jackpot of €169 million on 13 November 2012. The jackpot hadn’t been won by anyone since the 28 September draw. He was described as a family man and was reportedly eager to set up a charitable foundation for community projects across France. This remains the biggest EuroMillions jackpot to be won in France.
9. A Superdraw held on 30 September 2016 continued to rollover until a lucky father-of-four won €169 million in the 11 October draw. The winner was said to have immigrated to Brussels, Belgium from Albania and worked for the waste management service at the time of his win. Luckily, he spent €15 on tickets at the Librairie de l’Europe shop in Brussels and struck gold. The anonymous winner reportedly wanted to donate a portion of his winnings to charity. This remains the country’s biggest win since it joined the EuroMillions in October 2004.
10. A couple from Coimbra, Portugal were the lucky winners of the €163 million EuroMillions jackpot on 20 November 2015. Another Superdraw rollover, the prize started at €100 million on 6 November and rolled over until it was won by the couple a mere two weeks later. Whilst they chose not to reveal their identities, they did reveal that they were café owners with 2 daughters and grandchildren; no mention of what they would do with their winnings though.
Buy lottery tickets online with Sun7lottery